Sources: Celtics, 76ers talking trade for No. 1

Sources: Celtics, 76ers talking trade for No. 1

The Boston Celtics are engaged in talks with the Philadelphia 76ers on a trade for the No. 1 pick in next week’s NBA draft, sources said Friday.

League sources said the Sixers and Celtics are working on a trade that, in its current iteration, would send a package of Sixers draft picks to Boston — including Philadelphia’s No. 3 overall selection in Thursday’s draft — in exchange for Boston’s turn at No. 1.

One source close to the talks expressed confidence Friday that the deal would go through, telling ESPN: “They are swapping 1 and 3.”

Completing such a deal would put the Sixers in position to draft Washington guard Markelle Fultz and pair him in their backcourt with Ben Simmons, last year’s No. 1 overall pick who has yet to make his NBA debut due to injury.

The 76ers announced that Fultz will work out for the team Saturday. Philadelphia also will hold an individual workout with Kentucky guard De’Aaron Fox on Saturday.

While it is widely assumed in league circles that the Sixers would target Fultz with the No. 1 pick, sources say Philadelphia and Boston are likewise high on Kansas forward Josh Jackson. Sixers general manager Bryan Colangelo was in Sacramento, California, on Friday to attend a private workout for Jackson.

ESPN’s Chad Ford reported Thursday that the Celtics, already flush with a stable of guards featuring Isaiah Thomas, Avery Bradley and Marcus Smart, have contemplated using the No. 1 overall pick on Jackson, a forward.

The Celtics already have a wealth of picks in future drafts:

Boston last traded a No. 1 pick in 1980, when it dealt the selection to the Golden State Warriors, who chose Purdue‘s Joe Barry Carroll. The Celtics netted two eventual Hall of Famers in the transaction, getting four-year veteran Robert Parish and the No. 3 overall pick, which was used on Kevin McHale.

Information from ESPN’s Stats & Information was used in this report.

(Why?)

Published at Fri, 16 Jun 2017 22:14:14 +0000

Warriors shoot to Vegas, continue celebration

LAS VEGAS — The Golden State Warriors‘ victory parade didn’t stop after their championship celebration in Oakland, California, on Thursday.

It continued to Las Vegas, and it will extend into the weekend.

After the Warriors celebrated their second NBA championship in three years in Oakland, team owners Joe Lacob and Peter Guber boarded one of MGM Resorts’ private jets along with Kevin Durant, Draymond Green, Klay Thompson, Andre Iguodala and other Golden State players and flew to Las Vegas.

The Warriors were greeted by MGM Resorts chairman and CEO Jim Murren as they got off the plane, and the group conducted a champagne toast before boarding buses for the Aria Resort & Casino. When the Warriors arrived at the facility, they were greeted by the UNLV men’s basketball team, cheerleaders and school president Len Jessup.

The Warriors will be in Las Vegas through the weekend and will attend Andre Ward’s light heavyweight championship fight against Sergey Kovalev on Saturday at the Mandalay Bay Events Center.

Ward, an Oakland native, recorded hype videos for the Warriors that were played at Oracle Arena during the postseason. Ward and Durant both are represented by Roc Nation, and Durant has visited Ward’s training camp in Oakland.

“Those guys always come out and show love,” Ward told ESPN. “It’s a very close-knit community. Even though the Bay Area can be considered big sometimes, in some cases, it’s really not. The love is mutual. They put on for me and show me a lot of love and respect, and I do the same.”

One Warriors player missing from Las Vegas was Stephen Curry.

The star guard and his wife, Ayesha, went to Hollywood on Thursday night. Curry might join his teammates Saturday for the fight.

(Why?)

Published at Sat, 17 Jun 2017 00:42:05 +0000