Good morning. These are today’s top stories:
Vehicle attack near London mosque injures 10
Ten people were injured after a vehicle plowed into a crowd of pedestrians near a mosque in London early Monday, authorities said. The 48-year-old driver was arrested. London Mayor Sadiq Khan said the incident was a “horrific terrorist attack.”
Megyn Kelly defends Alex Jones interview
Right before NBC News aired Megyn Kelly’s controversial interview with conspiracy theorist Alex Jones on Sunday, Kelly said she felt it was important to feature him because he has “the ear” of President Donald Trump. “Some thought we shouldn’t broadcast this interview because his baseless allegations aren’t just offensive, they’re dangerous. But here’s the thing: Alex Jones isn’t going away,” she said on Sunday Night with Megyn Kelly. “He has millions of listeners and the ear of our current president.” The interview sparked outrage last week because Jones, a conservative radio host, has previously suggested the deadly Sandy Hook elementary school shooting was a hoax.
Colorado might ban smartphone sales to kids
A potential ballot measure in Colorado would ban smartphone sales to children under the age of 13. If the proposal gains the 300,000 signatures it needs to make it onto the 2018 ballot, and if it passes, it would make Colorado the first U.S. state with legal limits on smartphone sales to children.
The Pentagon said U.S. forces have shot down a Syrian aircraft for the first time.
French President Emmanuel Macron’snew centrist party swept parliamentary elections.
A record65.6 million people are now displaced worldwide, according to the U.N. refugee agency.
A new report has found that 20% of baby food contains traces of lead.
The Morning Brief is published Mondays through Fridays. Email Morning Brief writer Melissa Chan at email@example.com.
Published at Mon, 19 Jun 2017 13:05:19 +0000
Seven people were injured after an unidentified person shot at someone they had gotten into a fight with in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. The entire incident was captured on a Facebook Live video recorded by a bystander.
The incident is still being investigated, but according to WBTW in South Carolina, officers responded to calls about a large crowd that had gathered along the resort town’s Ocean Boulevard. A fight broke out and one of the people involved shot at another. An armed security officer then shot at the shooter, according to WBTW, who then fired off more shots and left in a stolen car.
Officers were able to apprehend the suspect, but no names have been released. The Facebook video of the incident had just over 3 million views as of Monday.
Published at Mon, 19 Jun 2017 12:54:23 +0000